If your business depends today on desk telephones connected to a PBX (that on-premises telephone system on the wall or in a server room in your building) then perhaps now it’s time to think about replacing this aged technology for a Cloud based telephony service.
Unified Communications brings together Telephony, Conferencing, Instant Messaging/chat, Screen Sharing and white-boarding as well as video conferencing.
With literally hundreds of providers in the market, it could potentially be a real headache as well as being both time and resource consuming finding the right technology and supplier for your business.
BITSmart.tech can assist you in firstly understanding how impactful a UCaaS strategy can be for both engaging colleagues, as well as the benefits for enhancing customer experience. Plus, we can assist and manage the identification of the technologies and suppliers for your business needs.
Why Cloud Telephony?
The future of telephony is in the Cloud, more and more businesses are moving away from on-premise systems and into the cloud. This move is rapidly accelerating across businesses of all sizes. In a survey by Frost & Sullivan, 82% of businesses reported that they have moved or plan to move either part or all of their business telephony up to the Cloud by 2023.
With an estimated 350 million on-premise seats globally and with BT closing their ISDN infrastructure down by 2025 in favour of IP telephony, moving your business communications to the cloud as part of your larger Digital Transformation strategy makes perfect sense.
What are the advantages?
- Improved efficiency – work from ANYWHERE!
- Lowering the cost of IT and maintenance.
- Provide AI driven data to enable actionable insight.
- Maximising uptime through reliability, security and resiliency.
- Providing modern communication tools to unify employees & contact centre agents while improving productivity.
- Endless opportunity – provider driven upgrades and hundreds of integrations.
- A communications platform that works across multiple devices.
There are numerous features that are available within a UCaaS implementation, the most common include:
- Voice and telephony, including mobility
- Meeting solutions – audio, video and web conferencing
- Messaging – email with voicemail and unified messaging
- Presence & Instant Messaging
- Cross Platform usability – Desktop, Mobile and thin browser clients
- Communications-enabled apps – integrated contact centre, Communications Platform as a Service and Work-stream Collaboration.
What options do I have?
We’re at a pivotal point in the European telecom industry, with many European countries planning to switch off ISDN and PSTN lines by the middle of this decade. BT will stop selling those lines in 2020 and will turn them off completely by 2025.
Phase-out of ISDN by Swisscom and Deutsche Telekom is already happening, with Orange ceasing ISDN in 2020. So what options does your business have?
Take a Hybrid Service
Some providers are offering an alternative to moving to SIP or a hosted solution. A hybrid service offers the same PRI interface as your current ISDN service but utilises IP Technology and SIP Trunking. We see the main benefits of taking this option as:
- Retain current PBX
- Minimal cost to change
- Easy future migration to SIP
Move to SIP
Most modern PBXs are IP enabled and can therefore benefit from a SIP connection, delivered via the internet or a dedicated line. The main benefits of moving to SIP are:
- Utilising the full functionality of your existing PBX.
- Reduced cost of calls.
- Greater features and functionality.
- Future proofing.
Move to Hosted
Hosted voice takes away the need for an onsite PBX completely and is really taking the UK by storm right now. By hosting the PBX in the Cloud clients can benefit from:
- Reduce costs.
- Future proof.
- Greater features and functionality.
- Service availability and access diversity.
So you now understand what Cloud Telephony is, why it is a major change from a technology perspective and what the advantages & features are.
If your phone system has been active in your business for over 7 years, it is likely to be Cloud-based, but that doesn’t mean we can’t help you. Why not use our UCaaS Quote Tool to see if we can take your existing phone system to the next level or giving your current UCaaS solution a jumpstart.